CASE STUDY: CITRIX - AUTOMATING THE LOCALIZATION PROCESS
Citrix is the global leader in application and desktop delivery solutions, with the vision of securing easy access to information on demand for everyone.
Citrix XenDesktop is a desktop virtualization solution that transforms Windows desktops and applications into an on-demand service available to any user, anywhere, on any device. With XenDesktop, you can securely deliver individual Windows, web and SaaS applications, or full virtual desktops, to PCs, Macs, tablets, smartphones, laptops and thin clients—all with a high-definition user experience.
Citrix XenServer is a complete, managed server virtualization platform built on the powerful Xen hypervisor. Xen technology is widely acknowledged as the fastest and most secure virtualization software in the industry. XenServer is designed for efficient management of Windows® and Linux® virtual servers and delivers cost-effective server consolidation and business continuity.
Citrix XenApp is an on-demand application delivery solution that enables any Windows® application to be virtualized, centralized, and managed in the datacenter and instantly delivered as a service to users anywhere on any device. In use by over 100 million users worldwide, XenApp delivers on the promise of proven application compatibility.
Due to the success of the Xen products, localization projects increased in size and complexity, with multiple resource file formats (rc, resx, mc, ini, sql, swf, js, wxl, properties) and multiple development languages (CSharp, C++, Java).
The following objectives were identified:
- Reduce engineering costs by improving efficiency
- Reduce bugs from incorrectly updated UI
- Reduce/eliminate localization build breaks
- Standardize process across different development platforms
- Implement globalization guidelines throughout the developer community
- Eliminate build breaks caused by out-of-sync files
- Update language resources automatically
- Standardize – one process for many development platforms
THE ALCHEMY CATALYST SOLUTION
Citrix labs implemented an in-house automated system using Alchemy CATALYST. Utilizing the ezScript language, and relying on CATALYST’s object-oriented TM and id-based matching, the system accurately leverages multi-lingual content into the development environment, enabling fully automated localized builds.
This process enabled Citrix to eliminate build breaks due to out-of-sync files. The process also removed the need for manual intervention within engineering and translation teams, reducing time to market. Automation in Alchemy CATALYST streamlined the whole localization process by providing a single solution for all resource formats and development platforms.
ALCHEMY CATALYST SOLUTION ARCHITECTURE
RESULTS OF AUTOMATION IN ALCHEMY CATALYST
- Greatly improved productivity within engineering and translation teams
- Greatly reduced risk of build breaks
- Automation of build machines in multiple sites and multiple time zones
- Improved efficiencies based on innovative features – such as thumbnail navigation,.NET visualization, and pseudo-translation
- Improved time to market by up to 35%